Sunday, April 7, 2013

Starry Night Block Challenge

I will get back to my scrap strip quilt in a bit. I wanted to post a block that I did for the Ithaca Modern Quilt Guild. The challenge was this. They took Van Gogh's Starry Night painting and divided it up into 24 pieces. I had planned to create my piece with little scraps of fabric. Every time I started I gave up. It looked horrible. That and I wasn't even sure how to stitch them on without them looking like a mess. 

Then I thought of appliqueing pieces on. Let's just say appliqué is not my forte. :(

I have to say my final piece I'm very happy with. :)




This is the piece I was given to interpret.



The sun was my favorite part.


The sun in detail.



Finished (which actually is side wise I think. If you look at Van Gogh's original, I think I have it oriented the wrong way. 









6 comments:

  1. :)
    SO GLAD it's done. See you in a bit. Trying to get another project further along so that I can bring something with me today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks sooooo good, Sherri!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really wildly cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is my daughter's favorite painting and I keep promising her that I will make a quilt of it. After seeing how your group went thru the process and seeing your wonderful interpretation, I think it now may be a "doable" project for me! I love your block!

    ReplyDelete