Monday, March 12, 2012

Marissa's Quilt

I decided that my niece Marissa needed a quilt from me. Her mom, my sister-in-law, and I talked about what colors she might like and I knew that batiks would be perfect. I started this right after Christmas and just finished it last month. I tried to get photos of it at each step. I didn't have a pattern, however I saw a quilt made like this in an ad in one of my magazines (Quilts and more, Summer 2011- ad for lollipop Tanga Batiks). I knew it was perfect. A great way to show off all of these great fabrics. I had never made a quilt using more than one batik. I had never really bought very many. WOW! I LOVE THEM! I can see why some quilters use them in most of there quilts. I'm happy to report that she loves it. 

choosing the fabrics (my favorite part)
Purchased at Material Rewards
the center squares
cut strips for 2" squares

sew strips together
  
cut strips
form block
connect blocks
quilting detail
I used one of my favorite Leah Day patterns:
Spiral Matrix
detail 
detail

border/binding detail
If you look close at this you can see that I quilted Bamboo Forest on the border.
I didn't get a photo of this in progress, however
I used left over strips from the squares and cut them down to 2" for the binding.
The lighting on this does NOT do much for it so I added the next photo. 

  
  

2 comments: