Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Sarah's Baby Quilt (1994)

Yesterday I mentioned that I haven't made a quilt for her since the first one I made in 1994. I started it when I found out I was pregnant. I had been wanting to start quilting and never did until then. It seemed like a good time to start. We didn't know the sex of the baby so I just chose pastels and my husband made sure I bought yellow flannel for the back. "Baby's need to have a soft blanket". We loved it so much that I've never put anything but flannel on the back of all the baby quilts that I've made. Even the quilts that I've made for adults for that matter.

The lighting isn't great, but the bottom is closer to the color. Just a very simple pattern. 
Notice that the square was not pieced by piecing like colors together, with say a blue rectangle and a blue square. I didn't know to do this. I didn't use a book, pattern, or anything. Just graph paper and colored pencils. I can't remember but I think I sewed the white square to one of the rectangles together and then added the next rectangle to that and so on. How crazy. I then stitched in the ditch (not knowing that is what it was called). Then I tied it, most of which is missing. I had also made square blocks with the left over fabic. It was perfect. She loved it for so long. I think the only reason it isn't in her room now is because it doesn't go with her color scheme. It's nice to look back and see how far I've come.




Happy Quilting,
Sherri


No comments:

Post a Comment